Over 50 people (visitors and members) attended our much loved speaker Ken and his talk on the Bruces of Downhill Castle.
The House was built in the late 18th century by the Earl Bishop and was occupied by 4 generations of the Bruce family some of whom were eccentric. It was destroyed by fire in 1851 and rebuilt by John Lanyon. The Bruces held the property until 1946 and the roof was removed in the early 1950’s. The National Trust took it over in 1980.