Hugh gave an interesting and detailed history of Royal Portrush Golf Club from its beginning until the hosting of the Open this year. 1888 was its founding year as a 9 hole course and members were by invitation. The Railway Co. was a sponser. In 1889 it was decided to form an 18 hole course beyond the original site. The Club became Royal on the patronage of King Edward VII.
1893 saw the formation of the Ladies’ Club. Two successful lady golfers were May Hezlett and Rhona Adair. A club professional for 55 years was P.G. Stevenson who was followed by Dai Stevenson.
Harry Colt designed the course (originally opened in 1932) until the changes made for the OPEN in 2019. The Valley Course was designed by A. Babington and Hugh O’Neill with advice from Harry Colt.
One of the sources which Hugh used for his talk was Roger Anderson’s recent publication on the history of the Club.
The meeting ended with tea/coffee and biscuits.
Hugh Clarke and vice-chairman Mike Jones