Programme of Events
Meetings & Events
The programme of talks start on 18 January 2022.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions all the meetings are now Zoom. If you need guidance to join using Zoom please use the “Contact Us” form on the website and state your contact details and we’ll be in touch asap.
Our meetings are normally held on 3rd Tuesday of the month in:
Sandel Centre, 6 Knocklynn Road, Coleraine, BT52 1WT
@ 7.30 pm unless otherwise stated. There are no meetings in July, August nor December.
Visitors are very welcome at all our meetings.
Admission for non-member is £3.00. This includes tea/coffee and biscuits after the meeting.
Our first talk of the autumn season, which was very well attended by members and visitors, was given by Ken McCormack. He spoke of Frideswide Bruce who was brought up in Killyleagh and married a much older man Daniel Mussenden. She was the cousin of Frederick Augustus Hervey, 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of
Pearl, a well known local historian, gave an illustrated talk on Robert McCahon Dicky who emigrated from Kilrea to Canada where he was a student of theology in Manitoba University from 1894 – 97. He moved to the Klondike during the gold stampede of 1897 and raised money for a church and hospital with the
Dr. Crawford’s illustrated talk explained that the Coleraine Hoard was found buried in a field in Ballinrees near Coleraine in 1854. The Hoard consisted of over 1,000 Roman silver coins and artefacts dating from the 5th century. Some of the coins were clipped i.e. defaced. As the Romans were not known to have come to
Committee Member Anne-Marie Huston and Mark Doherty Mark spoke of his great uncle Patrick Joseph Doherty who lived at the Irish Houses, on the Castlerock Road, Coleraine. He joined the Royal Navy in 1915 and became a stoker, 1st class, on HMS Lion battlecruiser and flagship commanded by Vice-Admiral Beatty. The British fleet’s task was
Ian spoke of the fate of HMS Drake the armoured cruiser which was hit by a German torpedo off the north-east coast of Rathlin Island on 2 October 1917. Captain Radcliffe managed to sail the ship as far as Church Bay where it sank in 40 feet of water. Eight hundred men were rescued but
See News for report.
Volume 21 of the Bann Disc will be launched in Coleraine Library on Wednesday 14 October at 7.00pm
16 February 2016 – The Life of Richard Hayward – Irish film actor,writer and musician. Paul Clements
Paul Clements giving his talk with Richard Hayward in the background Richard Hayward was born in England in 1892 and moved to Larne as a child. He was a man of many talents and Paul told us he was involved in Drama and Broadcasting, having played at the Gaiety and Abbey theatres in Dublin and
Our first meeting of 2016 was well attended by over 50 members and visitors. Jennifer’s illustrated talk was based on research which she had done on the history of Hezlett House near Castlerock. Built as rectory for Dunboe Parish in 1691 the house was a cruck and truss structure without foundations but built on firm
Despite a cold and wet evening 50 members and visitors came to hear Ken’s talk which was based on 3″x 3″ glass slides which contain advertisements used in the Picture Palace cinema in Coleraine during the 1930’s and 1940’s. Some slides were general e.g. for products such as Persil & Aspro. Others were specific to
A very well attended meeting heard Stanley’s first talk – an illustrated journey from the source of the River Bush to its entrance at the sea at Portballintrae. Many bridges were crossed – Magherahoney, Langford, Stranocum, Conagher, Stroan, Bellisle, Victoria (built in 1874 by Robert Montgomery), Benvardin, Seneril, New Bridge (built by the MacNaghtens) and
Over 50 members and visitors heard this talk on large estates in the C19th and how they flourished and then declined. Landlords had wealth and position in society – political influence in Parliament and Court. It was a deferential society with regard to tenant and landlord. From 1880 agrarian unrest prompted Land Reform with fair
Jim gave an interesting talk on the history of Dunseverick, once a busy fishing village which had 2 mills and a kiln. Fishermen had a hard life. The staple diet of the villagers was dried cod. There was no electricity, mains water nor telephones – the nearest being over 2 miles away. Electricity and water
An evening of fascinating old film clips, commencing with the Lumiere brothers in the late 19th century and moving through the decades. The Film Archive is available to view in Flowerfield Arts Centre, Portstewart.
Hugh gave an illustrated talk on the 180 year old history of the business which commenced in Garvagh in 1835. As was the custom of the time, undertaking was combined with other trades e.g. grocery and public house. In 1937 Wades moved, as undertakers, to the Waterside in Coleraine. By 1956 they had moved to